It is with great compassion that the Crestwood community sorrowfully mourns the tragic death of George Floyd and countless others.
We acknowledge the social injustice and treatment of black Americans and people of color in this country. We are committed to actively listening, learning, and taking action to help move our society forward.
Atlanta is the heartbeat of the civil rights movement and has historically been a hub for strategic leadership, actionable steps, peaceful protests, and purposeful solutions. We hold confidence that this city will continue to make peaceful efforts for reconciliation, healing, and meaningful change. As you process this situation, we urge you to please be safe and vigilant.
In light of this tragedy, we hope you are also taking safety precautions amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you’re wondering how you can help, feel free to start with the resources listed below. Let’s reflect, let’s show empathy and let’s evolve for the better.
– Carrie Williams
Crestwood HOA Board
- The NAACP Legal Defense Fund, which supports racial justice through advocacy, litigation, and education.
- We Love Lake Street is gathering donations for small businesses and nonprofits on Lake Street in Minneapolis, to help with the clean-up effort.
- AMAZEworks offers anti-bias education curriculum, programs, and training for schools, and organizational and individual cultural assessments, consultation, and equity training for communities, nonprofits, municipalities, and for-profit businesses.
- Communities United Against Police Brutality, which operates a crisis hotline where people can report abuse; offers legal, medical, and psychological resource referrals; and engages in political action against police brutality.
- MOODI (Mobile Outreach and Outdoor Drop-In) is an initiative of the Cultural Wellness Center in Minneapolis, providing immediate response and resources for people currently without shelter.
- Communities United for Police Reform is an initiative to end discriminatory policing in New York, helping to educate people on their rights and document police abuse.
- Showing Up for Racial Justice works to educate white people about anti-racism and organizes actions to support the fight for racial justice and undermine white supremacy.
- Fair Fight, an organization that aims to end voter suppression and equalize voting rights and access for fairer elections.